Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You have to give Discover credit

Someone in my household obtained the April 4th 2011 issue of People magazine, a publication I haven’t seen in years. I personally have zero interest in the lives of our political, entertainment and pop culture heroes because most live in a bubble and permit the masses to see only what they want them to see. When a celebrity has a public meltdown, like Mr. Duh, Winning, I avert my eyes and ignore the noise because I don’t enjoy witnessing a train wreck.

As previously revealed in this blog, I only read a couple of sports print publications, so I’m not exposed to many magazine advertisements. As I was flipping through People magazine, I didn’t notice most of the advertisements – they were there, I just didn’t notice them - so I decided it was time to play Random Ad Review again. Here it goes….

SCAN0197

Nice! I was very lucky to land on this advertisement. You have to give Discover credit. I love brand messaging with legs and the stewards of the Discover brand have run with the “It Pays to Discover™” tagline since 1988. Why not? The multiple meanings in the message are inherently positive, reinforce the brand promise and employ the brand name. It doesn’t get any better.

The simplicity of this advertisement doesn’t get any better either. Orange is an unusual brand color and that makes the ad stand out when the magazine reader turns to that page. I couldn’t help but take notice. Orange obviously ties directly with the sun in the Discover brand logo, which may be the original logo design introduced with the card in 1985.

The Discover card image is prominent (wise) and the George Washington portrait from the one dollar bill is subtly visible directly above it (brilliant).

Thirty-one words is all it takes to tell the story. #1 cash rewards. Who doesn’t love cash rewards? Who doesn’t love being associated with #1? Who cares about #2? Who remembers #2?

It pays to switch. It pays to Discover. Who can argue with that; both are true. What’s more to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment