Friday, March 4, 2011

Freaky fast and freakin’ successful is no freak accident

I’m a Jimmy John’s virgin. If it weren’t for their radio ads, I wouldn’t even know they exist. Weird, because I love sub sandwiches. Anyway, I heard one of their commercials recently and I was so entertained I conducted an online search to listen to the spot again. Frustratingly, I couldn’t find the commercial in question. Gratifyingly, I found a company web page with eight radio ads posted for my enjoyment with a link to TV ads on the left and print ads on the right.

Jimmy John’s, a sub sandwich purveyor, boasts freaky fast delivery. As previously mentioned, I know very little about this company, but I dig what I’m learning. Jimmy John’s built their business and stake their reputation on fast delivery. Their integrated advertising and social media initiatives reinforce this brand promise.

I gave the eight radio spots a listen and loved them all. The distinct voices command attention and the pace of the dialogue is freaky fast and freaky fun. Here’s a great example. I adore the superb use of sound effects. You want to rewind and listen again and again. Compelling.

The corporate site has only four TV commercials featuring everyday people in harrowing circumstances. As the crisis deepens, each individual makes a call – to Jimmy John’s. Fast-forward to a JJ delivery person holding the bag of goodies. Doorbell and voiceover: Jimmy John’s. America’s sandwich delivery experts. The commercials are good, but the only relationship with the radio campaign is the voice in the voiceover. Strange they didn’t leverage the Freaky Fast theme. Think of the zaniness they could deliver in freaky fast video.

Jimmy John’s has a Facebook page which appears to be the heart of their social media initiative. It boasts more than one-half million fans. Many customers write posts on the Wall about a recent purchase experience. The majority are positive, but on occasion there is a complaint. To Jimmy John’s credit, they publicly address criticisms and asks the complainants to email the offending franchise information so JJ can fix it. Here’s an example:

K: I ordered delivery 45 mins ago and I'm still waiting. *sad face*

JJ: ‎*sad face* I personally apologize K, I didn't build the biz delivering slow! Send me which store and your contact info to facebook@jimmyjohns.com so I can fix it

Wow. And when a customer seems particularly hacked off, JJ gives a toll-free number so Jimmy John’s can personally talk to him. People love a company with a personal touch. Smart.

What I really like about the Facebook page, however, is how they create fan interaction. A recent Jimmy John’s post asked Fans to Find Your Jimmy-Rhyme. Fans are encouraged to post photos of Jimmy John’s rhyme billboards and busboards or write their own and post on the JJ Facebook wall. It’s generated scores of posts, yet surprisingly, only eight photos in its first 30 days. I expect it will pick up momentum.

Jimmy John’s leverages many of the available features on Facebook to keep their fans engaged and entertained, as well. From Polls to TalkinTummies to Videos, each application reinforces a positive brand experience. I was pleasantly surprised to see Fans can even order online on the JJ Facebook site. Brilliant!

Wisely, JJ maintains a steady stream of conversations with fans and critics alike on their Twitter feed and points people to their Facebook pages. Followers posts can earn a reply from Jimmy John’s and some are retweeted. Corporate and franchisees also tweet special promotions and announcements.

The Jimmy John’s JJ Freaker blog adds another dimension to the social media program. The only thing is, it doesn’t look, read or feel like a blog.  To me, it just look like another company website. It’s difficult to describe its purpose except maybe to serve as an aggregator of its Facebook and Twitter activities and to serve up special promotions. To me, it appears to be a failed attempt at embracing all social media tools.

The YouTube channel is another example and it’s a cautionary tale. Don’t jump into something if you can’t commit. The channel went completely stale freaky fast with no new content since its introduction on August 24, 2009. The site is abandoned. What happened? Did Jimmy John’s lay off the person responsible? People like me do stumble upon it via a search engine result, but we are quickly turned away because there’s nothing fresh there. With no one minding the store, not surprisingly, you will find a few f-bombs in the uncensored Comments section.

All-in-all, I give Jimmy John’s props. The integrated advertising and social media campaign does what it’s supposed to do. It keeps Jimmy John’s on the brain and whets your appetite for a freaky fast sub from America’s sandwich delivery experts. I think I’m going to have to lose my virginity real soon.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the feedback dude, it really means a lot to me. This bookfacetube stuff takes time, but JJ is tryin, just keepin' it real brother. Just FYI, our official YouTube channel is www.youtube.com/jimmyjohns and has all of our newest commercials, webisodes and fan videos. Check it out, it rocks!

    I can't wait until you experience JJ love for the first time, let me know if you dig it!

    ReplyDelete