Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I heard it on the radio

How many of us notice commercials when listening to the radio?

For that matter, how focused are we on the programming on the radio station of choice? How engaged are we with the content being delivered? I suppose it depends on why we have the radio on; is it serving as background noise, or are we listening to a specific program? When it’s the latter, who amongst us doesn’t leave the room, turn our attention to something else, or change stations when a program segment ends only to return to that station after the commercial break?

I have to admit that I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to radio commercials; at times, I zone out, ignore them or change stations.

I’m at my worst when I’m driving. My wrist is resting on the gear shift in the center console and I have my finger on the pre-programmed or Seek or Scan buttons prepared to change stations once a commercial break begins. It’s akin to channel surfing with a TV remote.

(Yes, I like to punish my passengers.)

Despite this behavior, a few commercials have caught my attention. Almost without exception, it had something to do with the intelligence and aesthetics of the commercial, and less to do with the advertiser or product or service being promoted. I suspect that says more about me than the advertiser, product or service. As a creative, I tend to observe advertising through a different lens (perhaps I should say I listen to radio commercials via a different ear).

So what attributes conspire to make an attention-arresting radio commercial? I believe it must have some very distinct qualities:

+ Excellent premise
+ Superb script
+ Unusual voices
+ Catchy music, music bed and/or sound effects (SFX)
+ Outstanding delivery

Rarely does a radio commercial work without some kind of audio hook. Rarely is a radio commercial compelling with a vanilla voice delivering the message. A straight delivery by the local DJ or even hired talent blends in and fails to grab the ear (unless the voice is of someone famous). The characters must either possess a unique voice, or absolutely flawless timing, diction and delivery, often on top of an awesome music bed or accented by some dynamite sound effects.

The Identity Guard commercial is a prime example. All four talents, three males and a female, have big and unusual voices. The spot is purposefully over-the-top in a very engaging manner. It opens with a professional announcer pronouncing the benefits of Identity Guard in a bold, booming voice. Three customer testimonials are interspersed. The first, a female, uses a ridiculous “bubblewrap inside of something inside of something else inside a tank or vault analogy” to describe Identity Guard protection. Her voice is sharp with giddy enthusiasm. You can’t help but pay attention. The next “customer” delivers his statement with equal verve.  The third and final customer, another male, confidently proclaims that he is going to share his social security number with the world, but quickly retracts, admitting it is a stupid idea. That’s a not-so-subtle stab at their competitor and the market segment leader, Lifelock, whose CEO famously publishes his SSN in all Lifelock ads. Clever. 

It’s absurd, entertaining, and yet very informative. I am regaled, I know the product and I know the advertiser. This radio commercial has kept my finger off of the presets, Seek and Scan.

For Identity Guard and their advertising agency, yes, I heard it on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment